A review of the latest COVID19 resources and research that our members might find useful
Hello again everyone, we hope you are continuing to stay safe and well. Please see below for further COVID-19 related updates coming from our various contacts. We hope having this in one place is helpful, please let us know if you are aware of anything else that may be of use to members.
- https://www.safeexerciseathome.org.au/ The Safe Exercise at Home website has been developed by physiotherapists from around Australia with clinical and academic expertise in exercise and other forms of physical activity for older people and people with mobility limitations.
- You should have the IPT-HOPE COVID-19 webinar from the 9th May via regional reps. The next Webinar will be 23.5.20, details to be shared soon. Please contact me if you haven't had this and we will ensure we get it out to you.
- Macmillan are seeking to encourage the public to present to their GPs with symptoms of cancer and reassure them that cancer tests can be carried out safely. Your GP is still here for you link to you tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7JDiuEG15c&feature=youtu.be
- NHS England Clinical guide for the management of palliative care in hospital during the coronavirus pandemic (last updated 22.4.20) available at: https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/wp-content/uploads/sites/52/2020/04/C0081-AMENDED-Speciality-guide-Palliative-care-and-coronavirus-v2-2020-04-22.pdf
- Dying Matters Week - plans have been adjusted by many organisations for Dying Matters week, please follow on twitter using #dyingmatters and #PalliCovid for COVID-19 specific information
- Dying to be Heard – homelessness webinar, 13 May 3:30pm
- As part of Dying Matters week, a webinar is taking place to explore the needs of people who are homeless who may be approaching the end of their life.
- We will discuss the needs and experiences of people who are homeless with advanced ill health who may be approaching the end of their lives. This is a challenging and emotive area of work particularly for frontline staff who are often left to support people as their health deteriorates. Join here: https://bit.ly/2L4GHnj
- NHS Volunteer Responders
Health and social care professionals in England can refer any vulnerable patients who are self-isolating to NHS Volunteer Responders for help with tasks such as collecting shopping and prescribed medicines, driving patients to medical appointments or transporting supplies between sites.
The scheme is already helping thousands of people every day and hundreds of thousands of volunteers are available to help. You can make referrals through the NHS Volunteer Responders referrers’ portal or by calling 0808 196 3382.
- The Health Data Research Hub for Cancer in the UK Deaths in people with cancer could rise by at least 20% https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2020/apr/deaths-people-cancer-could-rise-least-20
- Updated resources on Macmillan learnzone On the Learnzone the palliative, end of life care and prehabilitation resources have updates https://learnzone.org.uk/coronavirus/. On the Coronavirus hub The End of Life page is now updated with all of the information about funerals: https://www.macmillan.org.uk/coronavirus/end-of-life-care-and-coronavirus. The treatment videos have been added to the treatment page https://www.macmillan.org.uk/coronavirus/cancer-treatment-and-coronavirus
- The slide decks and other resources from the weekly Hospice UK ECHO meetings can be found here https://www.hospiceuk.org/what-we-offer/clinical-and-care-support/coronavirus-guidance/coronavirus-clinical-resources/project-echo-resources
- Latest Cancer and COVID research:
- Nekhlyudov, L., Duijts, S., Hudson, S.V. et al. Addressing the needs of cancer survivors during the COVID-19 pandemic. J Cancer Surviv (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11764-020-00884-w
- He, W., Chen, L., Chen, L., Yuan, G., Fang, Y., Chen, W., & Li, L. (2020). COVID-19 in persons with haematological cancers. Leukemia, epub, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41375-020-0836-7
- Sud, A., Jones, M. E., Broggio, J., Loveday, C., Torr, B., Garrett, A., & Handy, J. M. (2020). Collateral damage: the impact on cancer outcomes of the COVID-19 pandemic. PREPRINT medRxiv. https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.21.20073833v1
- Saini, K. S., de las Heras, B., de Castro, J., Venkitaraman, R., Poelman, M., Srinivasan, G., ... & Curigliano, G. (2020). Effect of the COVID-19 pandemic on cancer treatment and research. The Lancet Haematology. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2352-3026(20)30123-X
- Barbieri, L., Talavera Urquijo, E., Parise, P., Nilsson, M., Reynolds, J. V., & Rosati, R. (2020). Esophageal oncologic surgery in SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) emergency. Diseases of the Esophagus. https://doi.org/10.1093/dote/doaa028
- Ardura, M. I., Hartley, D. M., Dandoy, C., Lehmann, L., Jaglowski, S., & Auletta, J. J. (2020). Addressing the impact of the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) pandemic on hematopoietic cell transplantation: Learning networks as means for sharing best practices. Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation. https://www.bbmt.org/article/S1083-8791(20)30229-9/pdf
- Dietz JR, Moran MS, Isakoff SJ, et al. Recommendations for prioritization, treatment, and triage of breast cancer patients during the COVID-19 pandemic. the COVID-19 pandemic breast cancer consortium [2020 Apr 24]. Breast Cancer Res Treat. http://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-020-05644-z
- UK Coronavirus Cancer Monitoring Project team. The UK Coronavirus Cancer Monitoring Project: protecting patients with cancer in the era of COVID-19 [2020 Apr 15]. Lancet Oncol. http://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(20)30230-8
- Zic JA, Ai W, Akilov OE, et al. United States Cutaneous Lymphoma Consortium Recommendations for Treatment of Cutaneous Lymphomas During the COVID-19 Pandemic [2020 Apr 16]. J Am Acad Dermatol. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2020.04.049
- Hrusak O, Kalina T, Wolf J, et al. Flash survey on severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2 infections in paediatric patients on anticancer treatment [2020 Apr 7]. Eur J Cancer. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2020.03.02
- Tan J, Yang C. Prevention and control strategies for the diagnosis and treatment of cancer patients during the COVID-19 pandemic [2020 Apr 20]. Br J Cancer. http://doi.org/10.1038/s41416-020-0854-2
- Balduzzi A, Brivio E, Rovelli A, et al. Lessons after the early management of the COVID-19 outbreak in a pediatric transplant and hemato-oncology center embedded within a COVID-19 dedicated hospital in Lombardia, Italy. Estote parati [2020 Apr 20]. Bone Marrow Transplant. http://doi.org/10.1038/s41409-020-0895-4
- Gillessen S, Powles T. Advice Regarding Systemic Therapy in Patients with Urological Cancers During the COVID-19 Pandemic [2020 Apr 17]. Eur Urol http://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2020.03.026
- Campi R, Amparore D, Capitanio U, et al. Assessing the Burden of Nondeferrable Major Uro-oncologic Surgery to Guide Prioritisation Strategies During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Insights from Three Italian High-volume Referral Centres [2020 Apr 11]. Eur Urol. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2020.03.054
- Gandhi, R, Lynch, J and del Rio, C (2020) Mild or Moderate Covid-19, New England Journal of Medicine https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMcp2009249?query=featured_coronavirus
With best wishes and kind regards,
Number of subscribers: 1